Thursday 10 December 2015

Shifting Wood

The primitive is coming along, but the wood is shifting like mad!

I've tried to take the new pic at about the same angle, for comparison but I don't know if it's the same way round. I haven't done any bending and one limb has moved into a slight reflex on it's own, this makes the other seem very weak by comparison.
You can see how much wood I've removed. I shall steam bend the deflexed limb to match the reflex one. It's also taken a bit of sideways bend and it may need a slight lateral correction at some point, mind the tips still have a bit of width so I may get it all to line up, albeit with a slight S shaped lateral curve adding some character. The heart and sap wood is a bit of a mix and match, being well defined on one edge and a bit vague on the other. I'll try and go with the flow and see how it turns out, it's not a stave you can simply cut out straight ignoring what it wants to do.


2 comments:

  1. Do you think it is just reaction wood? I would have assumed it was still wet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how it was sitting in the tree, so I've no idea! I can only react to what it does.The sapwood is rather dark, so maybe it was under a load whilst in the tree.

    ReplyDelete