Saturday 5 April 2014

Ashbow Re-Try

I went up the club with 3 bows and came back with none!
The Ash bow (nicknamed ASBO) was tried out again and seemed to chuck arrows a good bit further than before, mind there was a bit of a tail wind. I took some video and grabbed a still, you can see the difference in tiller Dave is wearing red in todays pic.
There is another difference, the string has 2 fewer strands and is braced slightly lower, both of which will help cast.
That bow has found a happy home as a train up bow for the 100# Elm.
the other two bows were a tired old Hickory one which didn't belong to me but had somehow found a temporary home in my garage, and finally the Hickory Backed Yew which is being lent out for an ILAA shoot at the picturesque Hever Castle, it maybe slightly low in weight but as a 'shoot it all day bow' it could be just the job. It's not finished, but if it does the job I can put a grip and arrow plate on it and finish it as required.
I need to give the garage a good sort out and make an hook for my new scale.
With the nice weather there's gardening and DIY too, mind having put up 4 roller blinds along our large South facing patio doors, I've earned a few Brownie points.

I often see people stating that the front profile of a bow dictates the shape of it's tiller. Personally I think this is total tosh as the stiffness of the bow is directly proportional to it's width, but it is proportional to the cube of the thickness. Thus thickness is vastly more relevant than width.
OK the front view (profile) of the bow will dictate the tiller curve IF the bow is constant thickness. An example is a Pyramid style cut from a board of even thickness. (e.g a bow tapering in width from say 2" to 1/4" will have a nice curved arc of a circle tiller shape).
Anyhow, I was banging on about this on Primitive Archer, saying you could make a bow which tapered the 'wrong way' width wise and still tiller it to an arc of a circle. Someone challenged me to do it (in a good natured way) so I made a miniature to illustrate my view.
I dubbed it the Dimaryp Bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment